Since 1991, Tides Marine has provided essential marine components to the marine industry. At Tides, providing excellent customer service is our no. 1 priority and we proudly manufacture our Shaft Seals, Rudder Bearings and Sail Track in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Our products improve vessel performance and reliability, solve unique system issues, reduce the need for scheduled maintenance and provide worry-free, long-term boating enjoyment. We are the US Master Distributor for MATE-USA Pumps, Horns & Rubrail as well as Super Stainless, a gel based, non-abrasive, stainless steel cleaning agent.
Hose barb kits contain a straight brass hose barb which can be threaded into any number of pick-up points in the water pump, gear cooler or heat exchanger. These hose barbs are sized to match the corresponding fitting on each SureSeal. The kit includes 8' of marine grade silicone fuel hose and all necessary hose clamps.
Please note that the use of hose barbs in the raw water cooling system requires good care during installation and additional maintenance once installed.
Water pick-up hose should be routed from the pick-up point on the engine to the SureSeal® in a manner which eliminates / minimizes the possibility of chafing, burning or kinking. Turns made by the hose should be minimized to improve water flow.
Support clips / clamps / ties used to dress the hose should not be so tight as to crush the hose / restrict water flow.
Tides also recommends that a bit of slack be left in the hose near the SureSeal® to allow for some movement. This will minimize loading of the SureSeal® on the shaft during normal vessel operation.
To determine which water pick-up kit to order, first identify the point in the engine’s raw water cooling system from which you plan to take the water for your SureSeal.
1. Hose Tee: In-line between the heat exchanger and riser (as close to the heat exchanger as possible).
2. Hose Tee: In-line between the oil cooler and the heat exchanger.
3. Hose Tee: In-line between the water pump and the oil cooler.
4. Drain Plug: Hose barb in the heat exchanger.
5. Drain Plug: Hose barb in oil cooler (if oil cooler is on pressure side of water pump). The bore should be at least .200”.
6. Drain Plug: Hose barb in the back of the water pump. Be sure the drain is on the pressure side of the pump.